This old water deposit was designed in 1874 by Josep Fontserè. A young Gaudí did the calculations of the tower and support elements. It was inaugurated in 1880 in order to aid the water supply of the Ciutadella park.
After 100 years of different uses –as a municipal asylum, fire service store, changing room and garage of the Municipal Police force, justice archive…–it became UPF property in 1992.
In 1999 it was inagurated as the University Central Library.