Deep inside the Parque de la Ciudadela lies somewhat unnoticed the Catalan parliamentary building. Built between 1716 and 1749 the building’s original purpose was to serve as an arsenal to the fortress of the Ciudadela, commissioned by King Felipe V and designed by military engineer George Prosper Verboom.

In its totality the building spans over 5500 square meters over two floors. The baroque style of the exterior are a mixture of pink tile and rock brought over from the nearby Montjuic. The two wings spread away from its main central staircase which is lit by a decorated glass ceiling spanning. The interior design is mostly modernist, and was originally inspired by the Paris opera. Due to its age the structure has been undergoing minor and major rehabilitation and will need to be continuously taken care of as materials age and gravity and time take their toll.